The Chapel of the Centurion was constructed in 1857. Until the last religious service by the US Army in August 2011, the Chapel of the Centurion was the Army’s oldest wooden structure in continuous use for religious services. The Chapel of the Centurion was constructed based on designs by Gothic revivalist- architect, Richard Upjohn. The Chapel is also noteworthy for its stained-glass memorial windows, three of which are attributed to Louis Comfort Tiffany and his Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company in New York City.
On May 22, 2011, the US Army held a Chapel Decommissioning Service, followed by the last official US Army religious service on August 21, 2011. The service scheduled for August 28, 2011 was cancelled because of Hurricane Irene. On September 4, 2011 (Labor Day weekend), the chapel re-opened its doors – as a civilian church.