Join us to learn about the work done by the Women’s Army Corps as Fort Monroe’s mission shifted from the Army Ground Forces to the US Army Training and Doctrine Command. As the home of the Coast Artillery, Fort Monroe’s early mission revolved around the Combat Arms. The Women’s Army Corps (WAC), created in 1942 in order to fill administrative, support positions, and “free a man to fight,” was consequently one of the later posts to receive a unit of WACs; however, after their arrival they played a continuous role until the WAC Company was deactivated in 1974.
Colonies RV & Travel Park – Shelter #3
501 Fenwick Road
Fort Monroe, VA 23651