As a resident or a visitor to Fort Monroe you have probably seen the large, stately building with the white columns located next to the moat at the main gate entrance into Freedom’s Fortress. This large building was the first YMCA ever built on an Army Post and it is rich with history. The Fort Monroe Authority has been negotiating with the YMCA to re-open this facility for over two years. We presently have a Memorandum of Understanding with the “Y” that allows them to study the building and the unique opportunity the facility would offer to the YMCA portfolio. The YMCA is now asking for the residents and guests of Fort Monroe to participate in an electronic survey to indicate your level of support and interest. The survey link is below and we hope that you will respond promptly to assist the “Y” in their evaluation. YMCA believes that if sufficient support exists to generate new memberships to this facility, we will see this building re-opened at Fort Monroe.
To help you better understand what the YMCA will offer at Fort Monroe we can provide the following bullet points:
- Open Monday through Friday……5:30am until 7:00pm
- Open Saturday………7:00am until noon
- Services would include a fitness center with cardio and strength training equipment, and stationary bike classes.
- Group exercise classes will include aerobics, Pilates, Yoga, Boot Camp, and Zumba to name a few.
- An array of programs and classes for adults, teens and youth
- Facilities include a climbing wall, racquetball, lockers, and men’s and women’s saunas’
- The “Y” staff is also considering outdoor classes such as a Beach Boot Camp, Yoga on the beach, Yoga on the balcony, Boot Camp throughout the Moat!
- The facility also boosts an outdoor second story patio space that overlooks the moat and historic fortress.
We sincerely believe that the re-opening of this facility will be a milestone in the adaptive re-use of Fort Monroe and will provide exactly the type of healthy amenity that the residents, businesses, and visitors want to see and participate in at Fort Monroe. We ask you to consider this outstanding opportunity and please review the survey. Even if you do not want to join the YMCA at Fort Monroe, your response to this survey is important feedback.
It only takes a few minutes…..Please open this survey and we look forward to your response! The YMCA has told the FMA that the opening date will be determined after we get the responses from the surveys.