Special Event–Fourth at the Fort
FOURTH AT THE FORT
Things to Do at Fort Monroe—A full day of activities
Beaches and Engineer Wharf Fishing Pier are open at sunrise. Most of the beaches at Fort Monroe will be open to the public all day. City of Hampton lifeguards are on duty at Outlook Beach from 10 am – 6 pm. The parking lot for Outlook Beach will close at 12 noon. Engineer Wharf Fishing Pier will close at 12 noon on July 4th. Fishing is not allowed at any other location at Fort Monroe. Kayak launch on Mill Creek is open from sunrise to sunset. The Fort Monroe Recreation Center is closed on July 4th.
Casemate Museum is open from 10:30 am – 4:30 pm. Casemate Museum chronicles the military history of Fort Monroe and features the cell where Jefferson Davis was briefly imprisoned, highlights Major General Benjamin Butler’s Contraband of War decision that granted refuge to three escaped slaves, and tells the history of the US Coastal Artillery Corps. Fort Monroe National Monument Junior Ranger program information and Passport stamps are also available at the Casemate Museum. Admission is free.
Family Fun in the Wherry Quarter from 6 to 8:30 pm. As you find your location to view the fireworks, meet representatives from local organizations and engage in free family fun activities.
Music by the Bay Summer Concert at Wherry Quarter—US Fleet Forces Four Star Edition Ensemble will perform many of today’s latest hits, country, and classic rock and roll as well as patriotic favorites for our special start time of 7:30 pm and location in the Wherry Quarter. Guests are encouraged to arrive early and park in designated areas only. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets and picnic baskets. Food vendors will be onsite selling a variety of different styles of food.
Fireworks—this year, Fort Monroe will present a new twist on Fourth of July fireworks! Instead of a traditional aerial fireworks show, a 12 minute close proximity show will be launched from the top of the fortress wall at 9:15 pm. This show, presented by Pyrotecnico of New Castle, PA, will highlight the unique features of the stone fort. Close proximity fireworks offer a more entertaining show and use less space. They are intended to be viewed within a close distance so that the pyrotechnics can be seen from the ground up. The ideal location to view the fireworks is just north of Outlook Beach, along Fenwick Road from the East Gate to Stillwell Road.
Viewing from Wherry Quarter—
1. Plan to arrive early and enjoy the concert at 7:30 pm. Parking will be limited. Guests will be travel down Ingalls Road to Patch Road to parking areas.
2. Consider bringing hearing protection. Fireworks are big and loud.
3. Please do not bring your pets.
4. No alcoholic beverages are allowed.
5. You may bring coolers and picnic baskets. Please, no glass containers.
6. Grilling/open flames are not permitted. No personal fireworks are allowed.
7. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets, and picnic baskets. Please no skates or skateboarding on the boardwalk, seawall, sidewalks, or closed streets.
8. Food Vendors will be on site from 5 – 9:30 pm.
9. Portable restrooms will be available.
Other viewing areas on Fort Monroe—north of Outlook Beach
1. Beach areas are available for viewing—no swimming allowed after 6 pm Lifeguards will not be present after 6 pm.
2. Please do not bring your pets
3. No alcoholic beverages
4. No grilling or open flames. No personal fireworks are allowed.
5. Bring your coolers, picnic baskets, lawn chairs, and blankets. No glass containers, please.
1. North Beach—often referred to as Dog Beach. This area is closed to the public.
2. Inside the Fort—access will be limited to residents only after 4:30 pm.
3. No viewing will be allowed from atop of the Fort.
4. No parking on the grass unless it is a designated Fourth at the Fort parking area.
5. No viewing will be allowed on the Mercury Blvd. Bridge.
6. Boaters—Hampton Police will be patrolling the Bay to ensure boaters keep a safe distance during the fireworks display
At 9:00 am East Gate will close. No entry or exit from Bernard Road through the East Gate
At 12 noon Fenwick Road will be closed between Ingalls and New Garden Roads
At 4:30 pm Fenwick Road will be closed between New Garden and Stillwell Roads
At 4:30 pm Bernard Road will be closed to the public for pedestrian and vehicular traffic. Residents with appropriate passes will have access through North Gate and Main Gate only.
At 7:00 pm Ingalls Road will be closed from Patch Road to Fenwick Road.
Guests visiting the Paradise Ocean Club--Great American Cookout and Concert with The DeLoreans from 5 to 9 pm. Tickets are $25.00 per person. Please use Stillwell Road to access parking areas for the Paradise Ocean Club.
At 8:30 pm, no inbound access will be allowed on to Fort Monroe until fireworks have ended and traffic exiting the Fort has cleared.
Handicapped parking—designated handicapped parking spaces are limited.
Weather updates—Check website, facebook and twitter for updates on the weather conditions.