LIVE, WORK, PLAY AND LEARN AT FORT MONROE
- Barrier spit of land with water on all 3 sides, totaling 565 acres
- 8 miles of waterfront, 3 miles of beaches and a 332-slip marina
- 85 acres of wetlands
- Designated a National Historic Landmark District
The area known today as Fort Monroe was originally explored by Captain Christopher Newport in 1607. Named in honor of President James Monroe, Fort Monroe is the largest stone fort built in the United States. Construction began in 1819 and was completed in 1834.
In the mid-1990s, the federal government decided to close Fort Monroe as a military base. On November 1, 2011, President Barack Obama signed an executive order granting national monument status to Fort Monroe. Today, Fort Monroe is open to the public and is currently in the master land-planning process.
Fort Monroe’s myriad of historic buildings will be preserved and adaptively reused with the help of federal and state tax incentives – creating opportunities for developers.
From the beautiful natural landscape and rich historic past to exciting public events and programs, come visit to see all that Fort Monroe has to offer.